This is my 1st attempt to cook this dish. Am decided to cook it for CNY eve day because I know this dish can eat for than days! I have spend around 2 hrs for this including preparation and cooking time and I found it’s worth for it. You c’t believe I am still eating it right now as it’s already CNY day four!
I have search around internet looking for the recipe
and end up with Annielicious’s and not regret at all. She even shown how to
differentiate back feet and front feet ….good job Annie!
However I have adjusted the amount of vinegar as the
brand that I used is different in the post. So, you better adjust according to
your own liking.
2kg pig trotter (used front feet)
350g old ginger (take small portion and bruised)
100g young ginger (i skipped as forgotten to buy)
350ml black vinegar
400ml sweet vinegar
150g brown sugar
4 tbsp dark brown sugar
7 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp sea salt
2 tbsp shao xin wine
8pcs red dates
4 hard boiled eggs (optional)
1. Blanch pig trotter and clean to rinse in cold water. Pap dry with towel paper and set aside.
2. Soak red date in water and clean to rinse. Then soak in Shiao Xin wine in small bowl, wrap it and set aside. Do this at least 3 hours in advance.
3. Sliced and bruised all the ginger and set aside.
4. Heat the wok with sesame oil, saute all the ginger until fragrant.
5. Add the pig trotter and keep saute until fragrant.
6. Add in brown sugar and saute evenly until sugar melted.
7. Transfer pig trotter and ginger in a pot (i used clay pot) and add in water.
8. Bring the pot to boiled and reduce to medium heat simmer for 30 mins.
9. Add in vinegar, red date and wine, dark brown sugar and salt. Adjust the taste to your liking.
10. Add in hard boiled egg and continue to cook under low heat for another 30 mins.
11. Turn off the heat after 30mins and let it stay for at least 3 hours to allow the flavour infused into the pig trotter. ( i let it stayed over night).
12. Reheat before serving.
Gong Xi Fa Cai .....恭喜发财!